History

Marie Zelie, the French wife of early Masterton settler William Beetham, first planted grapes in the early 1880’s and seven years later presented the region’s first Pinot Noir wine in Paris.  It wasn’t until 1978 when a soil report suggested grapevines would thrive in the soils and climate found in the Wairarapa, that 4 producers decided to plant vines in Martinborough in 1980 – Ata Rangi, Dry River, Martinborough Vineyard and Chifney. From there the region has expanded to over 60 producers, most being small family owned operations.

Harvesting Pinot